From my childhood itself I have asked many of these questions to myself which I’m certain you may also have asked at some point. In this post I would like to give you few thoughts on this question – Is it possible to hear His Voice and leave it for you to think.
Let’s begin with this assumption that God exists. And even if you are a person who doesn’t believe in God, still you may find something useful in this.
You might have heard some people say, God spoke to me, God told me this and so on. Is that true? You may wonder how that could be possible! The reason for that doubt is simply this – You might not have literally heard the voice of God at any time in your life and hence it is difficult for you to believe in something which you have never seen or heard.
Let me list out some of the possible doubts you may have in your mind about His Voice. Put on your cap of imagination and think along me. Here you go!
1. If there is a God, does He really speak?
2. How does His voice sound like?
3. Can we literally Hear Him in an audible voice or is His voice just an internal whispering?
4. Does it sound terrific? Like a thunder or some strange sounds?
5. Is it like a human voice or a supernatural voice?
6. Will we be frightened if we hear His voice?
7. Does He speak to all human beings alike?
8. Does He speak to ordinary people like me or only to some saints?
9. How does God communicate? Does He really need words to communicate?
10. If at all He speaks, in which language does He speak? There are thousands of languages in this world, does He know all of them? Or He just speaks in His own language and make us understand?
11. Does God speak to us clearly? Or does He speak to us through some vague signs or symbols? Can God speak to us through nature? Or through animals and other people around us?
12. Sometimes I think God is speaking to me, but is it just my thoughts and my mind speaking to me?
13. Is God really speaking to me all the time but I am unable to hear Him?
14. If God is a God who knows everything about me, why isn’t He telling me everything I need to know?
15. If there is a God who cares for me, does He really know what I am going through and will He not tell me what I should do?
16. Is there something that I should do in order to hear His voice or to be able to identify Him?
17. I have lot of doubts and questions in my mind. Is it not possible for God to appear to me for few minutes so that I can talk to Him and clarify all my doubts?
18. If He is a good friend of mine, will He not do His best to reach out to me and help me identify His voice?
19. If God is so powerful, is it not possible for Him to speak to human beings like us in a way which we can easily understand?
20. Is it really possible for God to speak to millions of people at the same time? Is it possible for God to listen to all of them simultaneously?
21. At times I feel lonely. I wish there was someone whom I could talk to. If God is with me always, why am I not able to talk to Him like a friend?
There might be many more questions people usually ask themselves to satisfy the inner thirst to hear His voice. And that’s quite natural! When questions are asked within, we discover more and the chances are more to find the truth. This post is not intended to answer all the questions mentioned above, but to encourage you to ponder on this question. If God exists, does He really speak? If yes why not to me?
A thought from the past
In the Holy Bible, I had come across many portions where God spoke to human beings like a friend talking to another friend. God spoke to Abraham, Moses, David, Samuel and many other people.
We read a story in the Bible, which happened around 3000 years ago. There lived a woman named Hannah and she was without child for many years but as a result of prayer God gave her a boy child and she named Him Samuel which means God had heard. She dedicated her child to God to serve Him all the days of his life.
One day this little boy as He was sleeping in the temple of God, God came down and called him by His name Samuel! Samuel! Initially he couldn’t identify Him but later He recognized that it was God Himself who were speaking to him. Then God spoke and revealed to that little boy many things which was about to happen in near future.
This small boy who heard the voice of God later became a prophet (prophet means one who speaks to people on behalf of God) This story is taken from the Holy Bible. I Samuel 3. We read as First Book of Samuel Chapter Three.
Another instance is this – God spoke to a man named Moses face to face. We read in Exodus 33: 11 (read as The Book of Exodus Chapter Thirty Three verse Eleven) He is the one who later wrote 5 books of the Bible.
So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.
When God created human beings He spoke to them clearly and gave them many instructions. From Genesis 2:15 to 18 (read as The Book of Genesis Chapter Two verses Fifteen to Eighteen)
And in another portion Acts 9: 3-7, God speaks to a man named Paul and tells him what He needs to do with his life.
There are numerous other instances in the Bible where we see God speaking to people clearly.
If God exists definitely He CAN speak to us and He WILL.
Let me explain
If God is all powerful then nothing is impossible for Him. If we human beings can communicate among ourselves using a language or by other means, how much more would God be able to communicate to us! Just imagine for yourself.
If you say that it is impossible for God to speak to us, you deny the fact that God is all powerful. And if He really wants to speak to us, He will! He is definitely not dumb.
Now you know that God CAN speak and He WILL speak because He is Almighty and He wants to communicate to us.
But the question is HOW? This is where many people get confused.
Let me rephrase all the above into three simple questions
If there is a God,
- CAN He speak to us?
- WILL He speak to us?
- HOW does he speak to us?
If you can find the answer to these three simple questions, you will definitely start hearing His voice.
Here is a beautiful thought.
You know that God is present everywhere. Don’t you? Then definitely He is near you now, even as you are reading this, wherever you are in this world. Just think for a moment. Someone is near you watching you. This is true even if you believe or not.
And the next thing is that He is definitely not dumb and He CAN speak. You know that God knows everything. That includes everything about you, your past, present and future. Now you are literally near a person who knows everything about you. Can you just imagine that for a moment?
And above all He longs to speak to you more than you want to. Know that He is the right person to whom you can ask all your doubts, share all your worries, because He knows everything about you, even things which you don’t know about yourselves.
Then the question is why don’t we dare to ask Him? Why don’t we try talking to Him expecting to hear His voice? Why don’t we believe this simple truth that God is nearby us and He can and He wants to talk to us? Why don’t we trust Him-the most trustworthy person? What is preventing us in getting access to this Almighty Person? Why are we still unable to hear His voice?
There could be only three possibilities
- Either there do not exist a person called God
- OR There is a God but He doesn’t speak to human beings and He is living is some part of the universe and He doesn’t care what’s happening in this planet Earth
- OR There is a God who speaks and is willing to speak to us, but there is something wrong with the system which makes us unable to hear Him.
What do you think could be the reason?
Please share your views on this. Do you have any such questions in your mind regarding His voice? I would love to hear from you. In the upcoming posts we may discuss more on this. Please drop a comment below